Sunday, December 09, 2007

Zeitgeist

I started this with a massive outpouring of self-indulgent angst and realised I have a whole other thing going on for that crap.

This blog is all about the facts. And so forth.

Starting with Star Wars Tattoos.

I realised when I saw it that I would probably do this myself given half a chance:

Then I realised that would be kind-of mental and I should just focus on the scarification I want to have done. See also: kind-of mental.

All the bacteria living inside you would fill a half-gallon jug; there are 10 times more bacterial cells in your body than human cells, according to Carolyn Bohach, a microbiologist at the University of Idaho (U.I.), along with other estimates from scientific studies. (Despite their vast numbers, bacteria don’t take up that much space because bacteria are far smaller than human cells.)
Humans Carry More Bacterial Cells than Human Ones: Scientific American

Treefingers is like an anonymous group Twitter. Or something.
"Welcome to the first release of Treefingers, a site that allows you to post, well, anything. The site is an experiment of what people would say in a (mostly) unmoderated environment that does not focus on a central topic."

Fisher/Yates (Knuth) Shuffle: Not a dance, but "an algorithm for generating a random permutation of a finite set — in plain terms, for randomly shuffling the set".

Former ‘No Nukes’ Protester: Stop Worrying and Love Nuclear Power. Obviously somewhat biased, but interesting:
"A family in four in France, where they reprocess nuclear fuel, would produce only enough waste to fit in a coffee cup over a whole lifetime. A lifetime of getting all your electricity from coal-fired plants would make a single person’s share of solid waste (in the United States) 68 tons, which would require six 12-ton railroad cars to haul away. Your share of CO2 would be 77 tons."

I think I support Nukes. Just so you know. As an interim until we get solar working properly. But we have to stop using coal NOW. We can argue about that another time.

Rails 2.0 has been released. I know you're as excited as I am.

Death Star Cafeteria. Oh the joy.

Human History in less than 100 words

Favourite Programming Quotes 2007.
Just so you know the types of things we're talking about:

To Iterate is Human, to Recurse, Divine. – James O. Coplien
My contribution "You're all so embarassing". I also like "Recursion is Funny". Because it ~IS~ funny.

John 3:16. John 3:16 (chapter 3, verse 16 of the Gospel of John) is one of the most widely quoted verses from the Christian Bible. It has been called the “Bible in a nutshell” because it is considered a summary of some of the most central doctrines of traditional Christianity:
"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life."

The post election afray continues. It's been like some sort of weird multiple orgasm that just keeps going and going and eventually is a little bit painful. They lost, he lost, he quit, they fought over the leadership, everyone now thinks he's been quite bad for the country, and so on.

The End.

No comments: